Friday Fix It - The Fat Golf Shot
by: Golf Gear on
The Fat Golf Shot and How to Fix It
The Effect of a Fat Golf Shot
- A Fat shot is when your club bottoms out behind the ball creating a divot in the earth and causing the shot to be short or go nowhere.
What Causes a Fat Golf Shot
- Releasing the club too early
- Hanging Back - lack of correct weight shift during the downswing.
- Reverse Pivot - a golfer’s weight should move to the right side, or right leg (for a right-handed player) on the back swing. If too much weight remains on the left side, this is a reverse pivot.
- Swing too far inside-out - swing path comes too much from inside the target line and the right forearm doesn't rotate enough through impact.
How to Fix a Fat Golf Shot
- Shift your weight from right to left towards the target BEFORE impact.
- Lead with the butt end of the club for as long as possible and try to get your hands past the ball before impact.